CHAW's Music To Keep You Strong


Have you ever been struggling and heard a song that was just what you needed at that moment? Research shows that music therapy my be beneficial for various mental health conditions, including depression, trauma and anxiety. Music can help us process emotions and feelings, motivate, help us become more focused, develop social connections, enhance creativity and allow us to express ourselves. Certain things happen in our brain when we hear music. Our brain produces more dopamine, a neurochemical associated with pleasure, which results in us feeling good and less cortisol, a hormone in our body associated with anxiety, which results in us becoming more relaxed. Plus, it matches our body rhythms (like heartbeat and breath) to the pace of the song. If we are stressed or upset, our body rhythms tend to speed up. In order to get back in balance emotionally, our body has physically relax slowing down your heart rate and breathing. 

Listen to one of the following song when you need motivation or are feeling stressed.


"Quicksand" - Tom Chaplin
" Love's gonna leave you broken. Time's gonna work you over. You get up, you get up. You keep rolling on."
"Never Give Up" - Sia
"I won't let you get me down. I'll keep gettin' up when I hit the ground. Oh, never give up, no, never give up no, no, oh."
"Swim" - Jack's Mannequin
"When you're not so sure you'll survive. You gotta swim. Swim when it hurts. The whole world is watching. You haven't come this far. To fall off the earth."
"Last Hope" - Paramore
"It's just a spark but it's enough to keep me going. And when it's dark out and no one's around it keeps glowing."
"Recover" - Natasha Bedingfield
"We will recover, the worst is over, now. All those fires we've been walking through and still we survive, somehow."
"Scars To Your Beautiful" - Alessia Cara
"But there's a hope that's waiting for you in the dark. You should know you're beautiful just the way you are. And you don't have to change a thing, the world could change its heart. No scars to your beautiful, we're stars and we're beautiful."
"Keeping Your Head Up" - Birdy
"Everyone keeps a darker place. To lose control, you're not alone. And when you come looking for embrace. I know your soul, I'll be your home. Til you can breathe on your own"
"I Believe" - Christina Perri
"I believe that tomorrow is stronger than yesterday. And I believe that your head is the only thing in your way. I wish that you could see your scars turn into beauty. I believe that today it’s okay to be not okay."
"Fix You" - Coldplay
"Lights will guide you home. And ignite your bones. And I will try to fix you."
"Inner Demons" - Julia Brennan
"Cause inner demons don't play well with angels. They cheat and lie and steal and break and bruise. Angels please protect me from these rebels. This is a battle I don't want to lose"
"Different" - James TW
"You don't have to play a part, just be who you are."
"I Wanna Get Better" - Bleachers
"I didn't know I was broken 'til I wanted to change. I wanna get better, better, better, better. I wanna get better."
"Brand New" - Ben Rector
"I feel like for the first time in a long time I am not afraid. I feel like a kid, never thought it'd feel like this."
"Brave" - Sara Barellies
"Say what you wanna say. And let the words fall out. Honestly I wanna see you be brave."